"Mary bell"?? I would of picked a better shorter name

• LOL, I was on Anime Suki and say this anime was released, an episode of it was anyways.

So decided to wikipedia the name of the torrent "Mary Bell" and what I got was shocking…

There was a real life Mary Bell who murdered 2 boys when she was 11 and the article also states she didn't know who were father was and that she was raped when she was younger. My jaw hit the floor and I was like, darn... they make animes about everything I guess lol.

I checked the site out (this site) to confirm that the Mary Bell in the anime is no way connected to the real life Mary Bell

The actually wikipedia article itself of "Mary Bell": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Bell

Sorry if this is all distrubing... it's just surprising and I hope that the Mary Bell in this anime is no way connected to the real life one LOL

• LOL, I was on Anime Suki and say this anime was released, an episode of it was anyways.

So decided to wikipedia the name of the torrent "Mary Bell" and what I got was shocking…

There was a real life Mary Bell who murdered 2 boys when she was 11 and the article also states she didn't know who were father was and that she was raped when she was younger. My jaw hit the floor and I was like, darn... they make animes about everything I guess lol.

I checked the site out (this site) to confirm that the Mary Bell in the anime is no way connected to the real life Mary Bell

The actually wikipedia article itself of "Mary Bell": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Bell

Sorry if this is all distrubing... it's just surprising and I hope that the Mary Bell in this anime is no way connected to the real life one LOL

• LOL, I just noticed the real life girl who murdered at the age of 11 was named…. Mary Flora Bell

The name of the anime FLORAL magicaian MARY BELL...

Floral is only one letter off from being Flora... I wonder if the original creators did a reference or something to the real life girl, seems kinda odd but probably just coincidence....

Mary Flora Bell.... Floral Magician Mary Bell.....

• administrators

We've known about this for a while. I seem to recall Liisa found out some time after Honobono started releasing it, so by then it was a bit late to change anything. The show and the murderer definitely have no connection as far as we know, and it is probable that the show's creators new nothing of the murderer.

• administrators

As you can read on Wikipedia, "Mary Bell" is a rather common name in Japanese manga/anime. A decent otaku would know at least Hagio Moto's famous manga.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe_no_Ichizoku
    And Marybell from Poe no Ichizoku is a vampire too.

A common word, phrase, or proper noun in one language may sometimes accidentally sound embarrassing or otherwise weird in another langauge or in another country. As for "Floral Magicial Mary Bell" the first similar report written in English was (afaik) by loli_cat ( http://loli-cat.livejournal.com/20988.html ) dated May 2005, who commented:
    "Really, it's not that suprising. I used to have a BUNCH of marketing bloopers made by major companies. One of the ones I remember is Chevrolet unsucessfully attempting to sell their family sized cars in mexico. They were named 'Nova' but in spanish, 'no va' means 'no go'!"

In reality, there is, for example, a gallery called Mary Bell in Chicago, and I don't think they should change that name just because there's a criminal sharing the same name in some foreign contry. However, hypothetically, the name of this magical girl, "Mary Bell", might have been indeed a problem if this anime had been aired in the U.K, when, probably they would have changed the names, as they always do. Mary Bell was aired in Italy and in Poland as it is, Cristina D'Avena sang the theme song in Italian, titled "Mary Bell". Also in Hong Kong, Mary Bell was aired as it is, and Angela Pang sang "Falafala" that goes like "most wonderful floral magician Mary Bell…"

They would have changed the name if they had wanted; Italian ppl even altered the name "Minky Momo" (classic by Ashi Pro, who created Mary Bell and Sweet Mint too) weirdly without any obvious reason.

Looks like your connection to #honobono @ irc.aniverse.com was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.